Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai is collaborating with National Institute of Nutrition, Hyderabad on an integrated survey on agriculture, food consumption patterns, behavioral factors and nutrition outcomes. The findings from the survey being conducted in Bihar and Odisha will help us gain an in-depth understanding of how the nature and extent of participation in agriculture in conjunction with food, non-food consumption patterns and other behavioral factors influence the nutritional status of children less than five years of age. The findings are expected to inform policies, formulation of existing government programmes and future interventions aimed at improving the nutritional status of children.
- To understand the pathways from the nature and extent of participation in agriculture to consumption and nutrition outcomes
- To assess the nutritional status and morbidity patterns among children less than five years of age
- To assess the role of following factors on nutritional status of young children: dietary intakes, child care practices, health seeking behaviour, socio-demographic profile of the household, participation in government nutrition and agriculture programs etc
- To collect information on the infrastructure facilities at the community level
The survey is being conducted in the districts of Bihar and Odisha
Bihar: Supaul, Purnia, Sitamarhi, Darbhanga, Lakhisarai, Jamui, Nawada and Rohtas
- Odisha: Puri, Kendrapara, Mayurbhanj, Deogarh, Balangir, Naupada, Kalahandi, Rayagada, Anugul and Koraput
In each state, a total of 2000 households is being surveyed. From each selected district two blocks are selected. Each selected block is visited twice, once during Rabi season and again during Kharif season. Only the households with children less than 5 years of age are included in the survey. All randomly selected households who give written informed consent for participation are included in the survey. There are four sets of questionnaires: Community Level, Household Socio-Demographic, Household (Agriculture), and Household (Nutrition).